Friday, July 01, 2005

So Much for Gardening

At least for now! I was interrupted by the fellows that constructed this fine piece of work. That's a terrible picture but it's a hornet's nest, and they were rather cross when I shot it down with the hose. They are very persisitent creatures. I also found some very strange things just below the soil, very squishy and white. Some kind of fungus? Do you have any idea? Yes, we do have a horrid crabgrassy lawn, but what are those nasty things I pulled out? Besides gross, that is. I tried to take a picture of my hands to show you what my gloves had done to them, but it wouldn't show up very well. In real life, my hands and nails are now bright green. I hope very much that they don't stay that way. I did accomplish quite a bit though; there is a nice pile of weeds and petunias on the lawn (which I will dispose of when those hornets calm down) and some signs of recovery among some of the plants. I'm considering ripping out the petunias altogether and planting some delphiniums I have that are still in pots. They're quite pretty and attract butterflies and hummingbirds, which we already have floating around the neighborhood. So, there is your gardening news for now, lol. Please tell me if you know what those squashy bits are.

4 Comments:

At Friday, July 01, 2005, Anonymous Jenny said...

I'm so proud of you! Every year I claim I'm going to do window boxes for the apartment. We've been there five years. There have never been window boxes.

I have no idea about the fungi.

 
At Friday, July 01, 2005, Blogger peashelle said...

Oh, I so want window boxes for the living room windows, full of yummy herbs!

I can't wait until we do the sideyard - we will have an arbor, with grapes and kiwi! Very exciting.

 
At Friday, July 01, 2005, Anonymous Limey said...

lol.Annoying! I spent time searching only to find a couple of images that match yours..." Mushroom but too early to identify species.

So its a mushroom...of unknown type

 
At Friday, July 01, 2005, Blogger peashelle said...

Oh, thanks for looking around! I guess I never saw pre-mushroom things before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home